If you have horses you have manure. Here are eco-friendly ideas for managing your manure pile.
- Composting manure requires a little preparation and equipment. Here are a few systems:
- Use your composted manure and household waste to fortify your pasture soil instead of chemical fertilizer.
- I've had very good results with the lasagna garden technique to build gardens for flower beds using horse manure as a layer.
- Contact a garden club and offer them free organic fertilizer--manure. You may find a local farmer who would be willing to take it away too
- See Green Pest Control Tips for environmentally safe ideas on how to handle the pests around manure piles .