1. Home

Plants Toxic to Horses - Buttercups

Plants Toxic to Horses - Buttercups

By

Plants Toxic to Horses - Buttercups

Buttercups growing around the margin of a marsh area.

2007 K. Blocksdorf
These buttercups were found on the margin of a marshy area in a pasture. The flowers are yellow and cup shaped with sharply lobed leaves off of a thin stem. The grass around them was well grazed. Horses will avoid eating buttercups if there is more desirable feed available. After a hard frost or dried in hay buttercups are no longer toxic.

Buttercups may cause:

  • irritation of the mouth area

  • colic like symptoms

  • diarrhea
Resource: Indiana Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets Cooperative Extension Service, Purdue University

If you suspect poisoning from any plant or substance call your veterinarian immediately.

Related Video
Plants to Use in a No-Work Perennial Garden
Start New Plants From Cuttings
  1. About.com
  2. Home
  3. Horses

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.