Have your grooming tools arranged in a safe convenient place. A wide bucket may be cheapest and easiest to put your brushes in, although there are lots of grooming boxes on the market that keep your tools organized and handy.
You will need:
- A curry comb or grooming mitt.
- A body brush with fairly stiff bristles.
- A mane and tail comb. Plastic causes less breakage than metal ones.
- A fine soft bristled finishing brush.
- A hoof pick.
- A clean sponge or soft cloth.
Nice to have:
- Grooming spray.
- Hoof ointment if recommended by your farrier.
- Scissors or clippers.
Don’t sit your bucket or box too close to your horse where he could knock it over, or where you might trip over it as you move around your horse. Also have your horse securely and safely tied either with cross ties or with a quick release knot. If your horse seems uneasy about grooming, there maybe things you can do to make it more comfortable.