1. Home
Katherine Blocksdorf

How do You Protect Your Horse from Mosquitoes?

By June 13, 2012

It seems that every summer, I head for the local feed supply store to see what's new in mosquito sprays for horses. The mosquitoes are so thick at dusk and dawn here that you dare not walk outside and open your mouth unless you're looking for a buggy meal. My poor horses pace, swish and rub--and nothing I've tried brings much relief. Not only are mosquitoes annoying they carry diseases like EEE and WNV. We've tried fly sprays, fabric softener sheets, homemade concoctions without success. Bonnets and fly sheets help somewhat, but bonnets aren't safe to leave on at night and sheets are unsafe for mares with foals at their sides. No barn is safe either, unless hermetically sealed.

So what do you do to protect your horses from mosquitoes? Have you discovered a sure fire method or product you'd be willing to share?

Comments

June 21, 2006 at 8:12 am
(1) Leslie says:

My daughter made a homemade mixture of lavender oil, parafin oil, eucylyptus oil & distilled water. She would then put it in a spray bottle to apply. Seemed to help with the flies as well. Good Luck.

June 22, 2006 at 7:12 am
(2) grace says:

has anyone ever used apple cider vinegar for flies /does it help w/t mosquitos?

June 27, 2006 at 2:54 pm
(3) Judy says:

Avon’s Skin So Soft bath oil is great and smells good too. Also, Avon has a bug spray that is Deet-free, can be used safely on children and does not need to be washed off so should be safe for the horses as well.

June 27, 2006 at 4:13 pm
(4) Peggy says:

My horse breaks out so bad from mosquitos and gnats but let me tell you-the BEST spray is called Pyrhana.(spelling might be missing a letter) It comes in a yellow spray can with a black cap and it works the best!!! Try it…

June 27, 2006 at 5:50 pm
(5) Lanell says:

Avon skin so soft mixed with eucaliptus or centrella oil, and white vinegar wiped on with a cloth does really good on horses.

June 27, 2006 at 9:44 pm
(6) Sue says:

Best I’ve tried was Mosquito Halt. It’s the only one I’ve used that actually works. It is strong but we use very sparingly and only when really need (this year was especially brutal with all the rain we got).

June 27, 2006 at 9:56 pm
(7) marsha says:

I have been told that Avon Skin so Soft will blind a horse if it gets in their eyes. (???) Even if it’s applied to a leg & they itch their eye against it. I would like to know if there’s any truth to it.

June 27, 2006 at 11:21 pm
(8) Beverley says:

As Im in Australia it ist our mossie season at the moment. But when it is I find lighting a fire in the paddock with a fuel of dried horse dung so it has heaps of smoke does a good job, mossies hate smoke and will disperse fast,and the horses soon seem to know the smoke protects them.

June 29, 2006 at 3:02 pm
(9) Judy says:

YES~Skin So Soft by AVON works like a charm & I can vouch for it as we used it in our barn for ages!! ea horse & child were delighted not to be offended-we used it at shows & glistened manes & tails! It always worked for us! esp. with a cotton ball to smooth just inside the ears & outside of nostrils-kept bugs at bay! even on the babes~try it you’ll like it~

March 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(10) mary says:

I keep horses and also have a pest control company called insectsaway. We sell machines that will clear anywhere from 500m2 to 6000m2 of all biting insects including mosquitoes.
Take a look and e mail us if you would like to know more

May 17, 2009 at 5:14 pm
(11) Melissa says:

I was wondering how to apply the skin So Soft. I purchased a bottle and now I do not know the best method for applying it. Spray bottle, cloth? what do I do? Email me please, sypriss@bellsith.net

May 18, 2009 at 7:53 am
(12) Katherine says:

Cloth or spray work fine. Some people think SSS causes their horse’s coats to bleach out. Anyone else had this experience?

August 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm
(13) Brian says:

I’m looking into Natural sulfur and garlic applied to the ground and trees around the paddock. Anyone with success please write here.
SSS has always been a good choice! We have a horse that has been malled here in New England within the past week and will try SSS again. The summer here has been uneventful until recent heat wave and we have had an explosion of mossies. Stay away from Listerine on the horse with sensitive skin. Drives em nuts, put some on your neck and you will see why. Better to be sprayed around and on the barn.

March 4, 2010 at 2:06 am
(14) moreton says:

Using a mosquito Slayer Mosquito Trap around where you keep your horse can make a difference and keep your horse from becoming stressed. I found the website above which explains how it works. go to http://www.bantix.com.au/webcontent19.htm. They have traps all over the world protecting horses from equine virusses etc. Hope this information is of use.

May 5, 2010 at 6:02 am
(15) Johnny Dee says:

Contact me re: Mosquito Slayer Scientifically approved and tested by laborities including CSIRO to be the best Mosquito Trap in the World. Backed by a 100% money Back Guarantee. Which we have never been asked to do. Call me Johnny Dee on 07 5593 5188 Singapore Polo Club is a Client Santos Mining, Colonial Resort Cairns Indian Goverment.

April 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm
(16) Joann Smith says:

Leslie said her daughter mixed several kinds of oil and distilled water and sprayed it on for mosquitos and flies both.
How much of each does she mix together?
Thanks

August 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(17) allison says:

We’ve used WD-40 and its not toxic and the flys slide off and can’t bite. Works pretty good and its not that expensive!

January 29, 2013 at 4:16 am
(18) Santjie de Villiers says:

My neighbours have horses. I see that they use some poisen in containers that look like rain meters.This is some fly or insect catchers.When it rains the containers overflow and come thus to my property.The past 4 or 5 years my fruit trees started to die one after the other.Hardy peach, plum,almond trees died already and even quince trees are now dying.Could this be due to the stuff my neighbours use for the protection of their horses against insects.I dont want to make truoble for them butperhaps they can use something different IF it is the stuff they are using that cause my trees to die.I would like to hear what you think.thanks. Santjie

January 29, 2013 at 8:19 am
(19) Katherine says:

I can’t be sure that there is any type of poison in these fly catchers. The ones I’ve seen are simply filled with water that the flies drown in. It’s unlikely that anyone would use a toxin that could kill trees near horses. Chances are any poison that could kill a tree would also be quite harmful to horses. Perhaps it would be worth asking your neighbors. Most people are reasonable if approached politely.