1. Home
Clinton Anderson was born and raised in Australia and became a U.S. citizen in 1997.
Photo Pricegrabber
His mentors were some of the best on both continents. With the reputation to 'train the un-trainable' Anderson won the Road to the Horse Colt Starting Challenge. Clinton breaks down his special brand of horse training, known as 'Downunder Horsemanship', so that any owner can handle their horse safely. His books and DVDs reinforce the message of his training: "With the right tools and instruction YOU can turn your horse into the willing partner you've always wanted!" Read more about Anderson's background, accomplishments and methods.

Read More About Horse Trainers

Comments

June 24, 2009 at 11:48 am
(1) Katzarr Montgomery says:

I do not approve of the way Clinton Anderson uses the metal unit on his halter lead line, to hit the horses chin for disiplening. I feel it is not necessary to do this. There are other ways to get the horses attention!

August 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm
(2) Katie says:

Your wrong, actually he uses it to get a horse to not pull you around the arena un less you like to be pulled but I have been following his method of training and maybe it didnt work for you because you were doing it wrong

August 16, 2009 at 11:09 am
(3) Katie says:

And also what are your ways of lunging a horse?, and I wouldn’t be saying that considering he is the most famous horse trainer in the world and your not.:)

August 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm
(4) courtney says:

is that why people let him train there horse its not like people go to you to train there horse is it get the point get the point ms i mean mr not now it all hey at least my cousin katie the one that commented you nows what shes saying

August 17, 2009 at 11:07 am
(5) Katherine says:

Ladies, I think that disliking a certain aspect of a trainer’s methods does not mean that person’s own training methods are questionable. The difference between a good trainer and a famous trainer may have more to do with marketing than methods. It is wise, regardless of what training methods you use, to ask questions, evaluate results and base your opinions from your conclusions. And like the old saying, many roads lead to Rome, many methods, or combination of them, can lead to a well behaved (or badly behaved) horse.

August 25, 2009 at 12:16 pm
(6) Sandi says:

Regarding correction of the horse; I dont know if you have watched a mare and foal interact or horses out in the pasture but this type of correcton is the norm for horses, they do not ask each other if they are hurt; discipline is swift and serious and the horses do not nag or beg for each others respect.The short bite of a rope is more humane than constant nagging. Unless correction is made in a timely and serious way you have a out of control 1000 lb plus animal able to do serious harm.
Have a good day!

March 15, 2010 at 2:08 pm
(7) Meike says:

Thanks to Clintons method my 16.5 hand gelding don’t try to run me oveer no more. By the way, he has more than one method to back a horse up. If you would do some research and watch his shows you would know.

April 27, 2010 at 10:51 pm
(8) adventure says:

If you’d listen to the teaching he says use as light as atouch as possible but as strong as you need. If the horse does what you ask he avoids the snap, the snap by the way is 100 times softer then a kick by another horse,

June 26, 2010 at 3:58 am
(9) LivB says:

July 29, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(10) Kneesbent 101 says:

16.5? Are you serious? Wow….smart group here……

July 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(11) Katherine says:

It’s hardly fair to judge an entire group by what could be a typographical error on the part of one person.

July 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm
(12) Kneesbent 101 says:

…..it doesn’t take an English major to figure that one out. (it most probably was not a typo )
..I was only basing my opinion on what I read in the prior posts…..

Clinton and Parelli people are a bit at odds. Clinton and his followers are much more ‘make’ the horse do, where Parelli people want the horse to ‘offer’ to do things. It is a great way to understand ‘who’ a person is at their core. Clinton people are much more left brain forceful people; Parelli people are softer more allowing people. The techniques are nearly the same (Clinton started as a student of Parelli), but the underlying motivators are different.

Sorry for any comments that may have caused ruffled feathers.

July 31, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(13) Katherine says:

Interesting observation. I’m wondering how you came to your conclusion? I would consider the possibility that there are a numerous factors that come into play when people choose to use one method over the other–including which marketing strategy appeals to them, what is more available to them, what friends, coaches, mentors, instructors and other ‘influencers’ are doing. “Right brain/left brain” may be a factor but not the only thing–especially for beginners who may see more magic than method.

July 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm
(14) Kneesbent 101 says:

From my point of view…it is far more simplistic than that. Marketing….coaches…outside influences…socioeconomic status…these things have little to do with ones core values and how someone views an animal….(thus most certainly affecting ones choices for training technique) It simply comes down to whether the horse is purchased and seen as a commodity….something to use as a means to make money …(such as use as a business tool) …..OR if the horse is an addition to the family….to be loved….enjoyed…forming emotional bonds with the family members. (see where the right brain left brain comes in to play in my theory?)
It is as basic as that. Anyone who views their horse as a valued family member who has feelings …. fears …pain ….attachment response and force responses are not going to use Clinton’s techniques. Conversely, those folks who purchase horses as a means to make money or to work in that capicity will not have the patience or desire to employ the Parelli natural horsemen techniques which focus on forming a bond with the horse and encouraging him to want to accomplish goals. Gaining the horses trust is paramount with the Parelli approach….as is freedom from fear and willingness to master tasks.
I am only voicing what I believe to be true and I appreciate everyone having their own opinion.
I also appreciate the fair and even tempered way you responded to my somewhat emotion laden reply. Reading your opinion brings clarity to the otherwise impassioned banter between you and I.
…..

August 1, 2012 at 7:43 am
(15) Katherine says:

If the worst thing that happens to me today is a difference of opinion with someone about horses, I consider myself a pretty lucky gal. All the best. K. :-)

August 1, 2012 at 12:38 am
(16) Kneesbent 101 says:

…oops….capacity (see above)

December 31, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(17) JP says:

FYI Clinton never trained under Parelli. If you go to his website, his story is posted and with whom he trained, beginning at the age of 13. Not sure why people think he doesn’t love his animals. I have been to several clinics and he is very fond of all horses. He is just realistic in that horses are not pets, they will forever be wild animals that we tame for our pleasure and use. The minute you think they’re not, is when you will end up hurt by a 1,000+ lb animal.

January 9, 2013 at 6:47 am
(18) Kneesbent says:

JP….sorry but Anderson DID start out as a Parelli student and was even a Parelli instructor before branching out on his own…it is easy to verify……

May 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm
(19) jay fisher says:

look i beleive that is nessary to do wat u have to do but i dont beleive in beating a horse or starving if u dont train it right it will hurt u in the future

May 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(20) Tammy says:

Horses are like humans in that they are all different. But you see what works generally for each. Not all horses came thought the same way so not all react a like, same as humans. If you are training a young horse and it is one you will be keeping, ( as in my case), you have to decide what works for the two of you. my first horse was a two year old stallion paint , the one I have now is a young paint. They are two totally different horses. A lot of the things work the same but some are handled entirely differently. If you are getting results and you and your horse are happy, then fine. IF not, then try someone else’s approach. As long as the horse is not being abused and you are not getting hurt, it’s all good. Personally, I think the free you tube things David Archer puts up are very helpful.

June 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(21) Rekardinal says:

Seems as though discipline works for the military.why not horses? They treat everyone the same and everyone is expected to do the same job!

June 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm
(22) Katherine says:

Two of the many reasons why there is no one-size-fits-all for horse training are horses are flight animals and can’t reason like humans. Some have a stronger instinct to flight than others. Reasoning helps us understand the motivation by the actions of others.

June 20, 2013 at 2:56 am
(23) Kneesbent101 says:

Roger that Katherine! (it’s good to “see” you again.)

November 25, 2013 at 11:26 am
(24) Tina says:

) LivB says:
“If you know anything about learning theory you’ll know that CA is an appalling trainer. He uses heavy negative reinforcement and positive punishment. I wouldn’t let a horse of mine within a million miles of him.”

Haha! You truly don’t even understand the man…this is obvious. Make the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy. You must be a ‘new horse owner’ aka noob. Most noobs don’t ‘get it’ until they’ve been disrespected, bucked off, or ran over by ‘precious’. CA’s method is what I used and my horse is a DREAM!!! I’d send my horse to him in a heartbeat!!!
I keep mine at a boarding stable… I see so many ‘long time experienced’ horse women screw their horses up on a daily basis. They have no concept of ‘handling’ their horse except what they learned a billion years ago…or, they’re too tender with them and have unruly, disrespectful ‘children’ for horses. This is a large animal that can kill or mame.
After 3 yrs of riding without helmet, bareback, and starting my colt in the roundpen using CA methods when my boy was 3, I’ve seen an interest grow towards CA…even as much as them attending his tour. Now they speak as if they found a gold mine…memories have faded that I was the only one using his methods back then when they all rode saddled and helmeted…and thought I was crazy for starting my own colt (in my late 40s and first horse EVER owned). Some now ride bareback, helmetless…with rope halters! Why? From gaining confidence and understanding of their horse’s through learning from CA! I think you need to spend some time studying. But as they say, some get it, some don’t…and never will.
Shows us all your level of ‘getting it’ might not be possible. Sorry for you. Happy for me!

February 27, 2014 at 10:00 am
(25) Syd52 says:

It’s kind of like republicans and democrats. One is based off of respect and trust, loving concepts, whereas the other is respect from fear, or more just ‘black and white, no shades of grey’. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad method, it just may not be what you prefer. I personally think that both Parelli and Downunder have great methods, and it never hurts to try both methods.

April 22, 2014 at 9:35 pm
(26) LMtz says:

Yikes! Reading the 4 th comment was painful. Since we are on the subject of potentially causing pain. Please tell me that comment was from a very young child. :0)