From the article: How Old is the Oldest Horse
How old is the oldest horse you know? Is it living comfortably, being ridden or driven? Does it have health problems or need any special care? Share the age of, and what you know about the oldest horse you know. Share Your Information
the Oldest Horse
- Was a dun quarter draft cross named babe. She died at the age of 46 years old.
Oldest horse I know
- We have a Tennessee Walker that is 40 years old & still kicking.
- —Guest Carol
- My mare, Penny was a small quarter horse. I bought her at the age of 11 months. She died, head in my arms, at the age of 37 yrs, 4 mos. She had to be put down...vet said strangles. What a shame...she fought so hard to get up and to continue living. Who knows how long my gallant mare would've lived on to. R.I.P. my baby girl.
- —Guest Nance
How old is the oldest horse you know?
- My horse Roma is approximately 40 years old (that's human years) this year. He is retired now but was still being ridden occasionally up to 3 years ago! He still thinks he is a youngster and regularly canters up for his feed. He has no teeth at the front and is such a funny boy with a fantastic character.
- —Guest Kerrie Young
- Yesterday my mom had to put down her favored. Souverign a pure bred arab. A family staple. Well he should be he was in the family longer than me. He was a beautiful 42 years young. She went out to the barn for the daily routine and he couldnt get up. The vet said she thought it was a stroke. But a nice painless ending for him. And the day before he had been running around. The vet was suprized to see such an old horse, in such beautiful condition. My mom always treated them like her babies. Souverign means " king" at that he was up til his last breath.. Run with your head and tail head high in the fields of heaven. My mighty friend...till we see you again.
- —Guest Tiffany McCormick
The ladies man
- We have an Arabian named Azraf, he will turn 38 this year...he's a precious handsome fellow, and with the help if his old man food he is still able to chat up the ladies :-)
- —Guest Jennifer
- As far as i can tell from personal experience, Shetlands, Donkeys and Drafts seem to live the longest. I've met Shetlands aged 39, 45 and 52, Drafts aged 40 and 42 and donkeys aged 48, 49 and 57.
- —Guest PJ
- I just laid to rest my Paint gelding he was 40+ according to my local vet
- —Guest Rockin W Percherons
my horse is the oldest horse ive seen
- My horse will be 36 in 2013. She is a aqha registered quarter horse. Shes very healthy still.
- —Guest margueritte newman
- My horse is morita. she is 37 years old.she is a "rescue horse", but we are making her all better. she is a champion horse, and when she was in colombia she won a lot of prizes. one was a gold medal, and one was a trophy. and the best prize was a human named Jaime who is 6 to take very good care of her.
- —Guest jaime skevington
Sweetie will be 30 this April (2013)
- Sweetie is still being ridden, takes walks regularly(like a dog), has regular dental and farrier check-ups, and is very friendly and docile, yet can still be energetic and playful. To make sure she gets enough to drink in the winter, I've begun to add a gallon of hot water to her twice daily grain and hay pellet rations. This softens it(to prevent choke), warms her up, and ensures that she's drinking enough water.
- Babe belonged to a friend of mine we were riding pals Susan was 11, I was 16 and Babe was 28, she lived to be 46 she was Quarter horse Percheron cross, no special diet and she died with her teeth intact.
- I currently own a quarter horse mare who has reached the ripe old age of 30 and remains in perfect health. I purchased her when she was 3. Just s few years ago I sadly had to put down a 34 year old pony I had owned for 32 years and been in perfect health until just a month or two before her passing when she began to show signs of arthritis.
- —Guest CMac
What a mare
- 26 not the oldest horse I know of But the oldest that is still breeding
- —Guest Lauretta
My old horse
- The oldest horse I ever known was my dads horse Sage, she was close to 64 years old, it was my grandmothers horse at first she died in 2002.
- —Guest Robert
1-15 of 118Next