The Bottom Line
- Information is appropriate for those wishing to take up English or western riding styles.
- Emphasis on safety.
- Good details such as rider health care, and issues specific to older riders.
- Fun ideas for the social side of riding and horse ownership.
- This book is only the first in a series but stands well on its own.
- Pricing Guide quickly becomes outdated.
- Only two 'out of the saddle' exercises depicted.
- A few very minor horse care facts are debatable.
- Might have suggested driving as an alternative for those not able to ride.
- Soft cover
- Black and white photos and line drawings.
- 155 pages
- Published by Storrey Books
- ISBN: 1-58017-081-1
- Author: Diana Delmar
Guide Review - Taking Up Riding as an Adult-Book Review
- How old is too old?
- How to manage physical stress and pain.
- Coping with fear.
- First Aid and immunizations for riders.
Diana Delmar decided to learn to ride later in life, after dreaming about it for years. Although this book is not written by an experienced rider and horse owner it is packed with references and quotes from professionals who are. Generally the book is well researched, and very readable.