Here are environmentally friendly pasture management tips.
- Control weeds in pasture areas using organic methods.
- Use your composted manure and household green waste to fortify your pasture soil instead of chemical fertilizer.
- Manage your pastures to avoid erosion and overstress. Here are pasture management best practices from Rutgers.
- If you use electric fencing, try a solar powered energizer.
- If you are planning new fencing or replacing old, consider using lumber made of recycled plastic.
- Many horse owners plan sacrifice areas in their pastures where they expect no grass to grow. Horses are kept in the sacrifice area when they may overstress a pasture. This allows grass to grow, or in case of a drought, avoids soil compaction. See Extending Your Hay Supply During Drought and Emergencies for more ideas on preserving drought stricken pastures.