1. Home
Send to a Friend via Email

My hay is only a bit dusty or moldy—is it okay to feed?

By

Question: My hay is only a bit dusty or moldy—is it okay to feed?
Even hay that is a bit moldy can cause big problems.
Answer: Never feed dusty or moldy hay. Even if you wet the hay with water, the horse can breath in enough mold spores to seriously damage its lungs. One winter of feeding moldy hay can turn an athletic riding or driving horse into a horse that few people will want. There is no cure for damaged lungs and drugs can only partially alleviate symptoms. Most horse sports will not allow a horse to compete if drugged.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.