1. Home
Katherine Blocksdorf

How To Convince Your Parents to Buy You a Horse

By September 29, 2013

If you are still living at home with your parents and you want a horse or pony how can you convince your parents to buy one for you? How To Convince Your Parents to Buy You a Horse has ideas for proving to your parents that you are ready to own and care for a horse. If you know the answer is 'no' then you'll find some ideas that may get you working with and learning about horses and ponies without owning one.

More About Buying Your First Horse

Comments

May 5, 2006 at 10:34 am
(1) amy says:

I have 3 horses 2 quarter horses and one foxtrotter. One of the quarter horses named bruce will not stop biting. Ive read every book there is and tried several of the ways these books mentioned.He doesnt do it to be mean you con tell by the look on his face he is playing.Kind of a game to him. like i got ya last.Any ideas im worn out.

May 9, 2006 at 1:27 pm
(2) James Fales says:

Horses were such a large part of my childhood. I think they are worth the sacrifices.

May 9, 2006 at 2:13 pm
(3) horses says:

I agree James. I often joke that I’d be better dressed if I didn’t have horses.

April 29, 2007 at 12:27 pm
(4) Courtney Howell says:

I just read the article. I am trying to convince my parents to buy me a horse. I have used some of those tecniques and I have to say, I don’t have a horse yet but I am closer. I love horses and I know I wont grow out of them so kepping my grades up and cleaning the house is worth it. I brought a 58 up to a 92. Yay me. Thanks for the advice!

May 27, 2009 at 6:52 pm
(5) Sharpi :D says:

Whoa! my parents are so stubborn. I was going to ask if we have enought land for one horse. :O we have 1 acre, shared by a house, a pond, a pool, and a “working” barn. I mean that by like the floor is concrete and it has no windows. Is this enough for us to have a horse? My parents said that it wasn’t but I just wanted to make sure they weren’t getting off easy. Please answer my question. :D I have always loved horses because my great aunt had some. They are way old, and dont fit the saddle. (they’re too fat) haha. I don’t believe it is one of those phase things but.. you know. I was just making sure I can go on convincing my parents, if we are in the right situation as far as land goes. Thanks! :D

January 15, 2010 at 1:13 pm
(6) isabel says:

i lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve horses sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much iv always wanted wun but my mum wont let me

February 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm
(7) Lucy Lu says:

I’ve wanted a horse all my life, since I started riding 13 years ago (when I was 2).
I’m probably getting one as an early 16th birthday prezzie :D x

February 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm
(8) ally says:

hi i need help badly!!!! my parents say they can’t afford it! how can i convince them they can! i KNOW they can my dad alone each year ALONE makes 100,000 a year PLEASE HELP ME CONVINCE THEM! i HAVE TAKEN LESSONS DONE SHOWS ETC.PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2010 at 6:28 am
(9) Hannah says:

ive really wanted a horse since i was four and i started riding when i was just 6. i am now 11 and i still ride but my mum and dad say i cant have a horse because i dont really look after my rabbit much but i dont ‘LOVE’ my rabbit like i do with horses… but if my mum and dad won the lottery (wich the odds would be about 1 in a million) i would maybe get a horse or maybe 2! but as i say someimes its just fantasy… i wish i would get 1 for my 16th birthday! :(

April 14, 2010 at 9:30 am
(10) Ellie says:

Ino how you feel just keep going on at them say that you have no memories of your child hood and would like a horse so that could be your memory :) hope it helps

July 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm
(11) hannah says:
October 30, 2010 at 4:55 pm
(12) horsez says:

I want a horse and my parents said i need to take lessons first off and you can get one when we have a place to put it. I have found a farm where they board horses and have riding lessons and i have also gotten the info from the place. And they won’t even sign me up!
It is only 15 mins. away from my house. And my b-day is on monday

February 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(13) Megan Horse Lover says:

Horses are the best animals in the world! PLEASE MOM LET ME BUY MY NEIGHBORS BEAUTY???

April 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm
(14) caity says:

i have been riding for a while now and i have been working my butt off at a barn for about 2 years now and i dont get paid. but even after begging for 2 years my parents are just now considering leasing. so all im saying is be paitent. your parents probably think horses are just a faze your going through.but if you are dedicated dont give up. start working and riding at a local barn and prove to them your notgonna give up

May 1, 2011 at 1:13 am
(15) PonyQueen101 says:

I’ve been with horses since I was born and I gotta say, I’ve tried everything to get a horse since my horse died! The trick I’ve picked up is that it’s about actually taking care of horses which is the expensive part. But my childhood is ending and I’ll be a teen soon so I gotta work fast! I really want to make a slide show or something that will touch their heart. But say that “You’ll never know if I’ll take care of it if you don’t give me a chance!”

May 6, 2011 at 6:42 am
(16) Katherine says:

Good luck with your plan. I hope it works. :)

May 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm
(17) Woahhhh says:

I’ve been convicing my parents for like years!! But they have been saying its cost to much. But this year, my parents have been considering buying a boat!! Which costs 50k and like 15k a year to maintain. A horse on the other hand costs like 2000 for a decent one and like 7k to maintain it a year. But its not cost that worrys them, its me, i have to persuade to them that i can use all my effort into taking care of the horse, any tips? Consider that I’ve been riding for like 9 years and i used to work at my stables.

August 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm
(18) Bubs&CudsLover says:

I have nothing to say because everything i try it never works!
My parents have always found out my sneaky & devious plan so there is no point in trying now. So al i do is hang out at my cousins stables.Its called Cisswood Stables. I hang out with mys cousins horses Bubbles & Cuddles and i feel like there mine coz they always listen to me and not my cousin Lucie!!!!! LOL

November 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(19) Tallullah says:

Hi
I have wanted a horse for years. My parents say no. All my friends have one and are making plans for them and their horses. I feel left out. Is there anyway i can persuade them?

December 4, 2011 at 10:12 am
(20) anonymous says:

we cant get our parents to buy us horses but we are 11 years old and have ridden/helped at a stables for 5 years (or more) how do we get our parents to buy a horse, even if its just a rescue one?????????????!!!!!!!!!1

December 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm
(21) Katherine says:

A rescue horse may not be the best choice for a first horse. Here’s why: http://horses.about.com/od/buyingyourfirsthorse/a/buyingarescuehorse.htm

February 23, 2012 at 9:39 pm
(22) Kitty kat says:

Horses r really smart animals. If you want to connect with horses, the best idea is to get horseback riding lessons. Then, you can see how a horse is like and then you can actually get a horse. B4 you get a horse, see if the work is easy or not. :D

April 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm
(23) Evil Elf says:

I have been riding since i was 9 and am going to be a teenager soon, i need to get a horse fast, my parents said i could maybe get a horse, but now they say no, I’ve wanted a horse forever. I have been trying to help out so long at my stables and i am going to start soon, my world is horses, they don’t seem to notice how much this means to me, will someone please help how they persuaded their parents. :) x

June 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(24) horses says:

i have wanted to get a horse my holelife please tell me how to

July 7, 2012 at 1:10 am
(25) annie says:

my parents are getting me a horse because they see me improving with my horse rding and now think a can take care of a horse because i leased one with my friend :)

July 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm
(26) Katherine says:

I hope you get one soon!

July 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(27) mia says:

my parents wont buy me a horse because they dont want to pay for it! they think i cant have that big of a responsibility. i was going to keep one at my friends house but they are even saying no to that,after i had a whole plan worked out!i need help to convince!!!!!!!! IDEAS?

August 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(28) amy says:

i all really want a horse but my parents wont let me i can afford one i know all of what i need to know but they just wont let me i need help!

September 16, 2013 at 6:27 am
(29) Choupa says:

I’ve been riding for really long, and have just moved (to the other side of the world, just adding). We were searching for a house in town, but next to my riding school, a house went on the market, which gave me the idea. I wasn’t allowed a house out of town if I wanted to stay in my school, so I worked really hard. I spent hours on hours, till midnight staying up, studying, studying, studying. Well, I tell you, it did the trick. My school didn’t want to lose me after all the hard work and good marks, so they allowed me to live on a farm in the hills, as long as I kept up my hard work. After my parents heard about that, they couldn’t say no, my dad is already helping me search for a horse, and he was strongly against it before. So, everyone who is searching for a horse, don’t believe all those people that say that you just have to read horsy books to get one, you have to actually work REALLY hard. Show your parents hat you’re worth it.
And for the person who said one acre for a horse. Are you kidding me? It depends where you live, but a horse normally needs at least 3 acres to run around and graze. And you wouldn’t want your horse to be depressed, you would have to buy another horse, and plus 3 acres. So please please please please, everyone, don’t ever try buying a horse and sticking it on your small garden just because of your need for one. Your horse (or future horse) shoudl come before EVERYTHING ELSE !!!