1. Home
Katherine Blocksdorf

Tingle or Stray Voltage: Are Your Horses Afraid of Their Water Trough?

By February 15, 2013

Follow me on:

I was throwing away some old papers a while back and came across a fact sheet on tingle voltage we were given by an electrical inspector. We had a hot tub in our first house, and shortly after installing it we had a shocking experience. Every time we tried to get in we got a little 'zap'. The inspector explained that this tingle voltage was stray electrical voltage: harmless, but very unpleasant. Apparently tingle voltage is a problem in dairy barns, will cause swine to tail and ear bite, cause cats to leave or be unhealthy, and spook horses away from their water source (and discourage people from entering their hot tubs). So if your horse seems suddenly afraid to go near its automatic waterer or heated water trough, tingle voltage may be the culprit.

Read More About Tingle Voltage

Comments

No comments yet. Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment


Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.