1. Home
Katherine Blocksdorf

Horse Quiz - What Comes Next?

By February 8, 2013

Riding is much more than just getting on a horse and galloping into the sunset. Some things just need to be done to ensure everyone's safety and comfort. Do you know how to safely bring your horse in from the pasture, saddle up, and then cool out and put your horse away after a ride? Test your safety and horse care knowledge with the What Comes Next Quiz. Good luck!

More Horse Quiz

Comments

June 6, 2009 at 11:25 pm
(1) Deanna Kerr says:

I just took the quiz and I got 78%. I disagreed with two questions.

First, I never tie down my horse when I saddle him. Tying a horse is unsafe for the horse and and the handler. A horse must always have a way to escape if they become scared. It is safer to teach a horse to stand still for saddling a bridling.

Second, before I do anything with a horse, I like to make sure I have his full attention on me. That means that if a horse needs a little training done before I warm him up, then I will do a little ground work first.

In fact, the safest way to catch, saddle, ride and turn out a horse is to make sure the horse’s full attention is on me at all times. If that requires training as soon as I walk into the pasture then so be it.

June 8, 2009 at 8:55 am
(2) Katherine says:

Most horses will have to be tied while being saddled. Many of keep our horses at boarding stables, or often we’re at events, or out on trail, where it wouldn’t be allowed or it would be inadvisable to not have a horse tied. There are ways of tying safely. But you’re right in thinking that your horse must be paying attention to you at all times.

June 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm
(3) valerie says:

I just took the What Comes Next quiz and missed only one question. I agree with Deanna Kerr about getting the horses attention before warming up. The ‘correct’ answer looked like the person and horse were already out for a hack. Everyone I know including myself walk and trot, ride figure 8′s and circles as a warm up. Riding up and down hills is a ride not a warm up. However when it comes to having to tie a horse to tack it up, I agree with Katherine. Slip knots, safety knots, quick release knots whatever you want to call them is what people use to tie a horse. It’s nice if your horse will stand but tying is not necessarily any more dangerous than a potential loose spooked horse causing havoc with other horses. It works both ways.

June 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm
(4) Katherine says:

Just to clarify, there is no mention of hills in the question about warming up. There are two answers that are obviously wrong, but I don`t want to give them away here! ;-)

June 10, 2009 at 3:46 pm
(5) Deanna says:

You’re right, it is advisable and, in many instances, required that a horse be tied at boarding stables or events. But it isn’t for the horse’s safety, it is for the people’s safety.

A tied down out-of-control horse is unsafe. They can kick fences, their handlers or walls. They can pull back and break their legs or necks and in the process spook all the horses around him.

If tying the horse is the method being used to make a horse stand still for grooming, saddling or whatever, then it is unsafe. A horse should be taught to accept these things, not be made to endure them.

It’s not that I think tying is bad, it isn’t. All horses are taught to be tied. But it is merely a means to communicate to the horse that they should stay put. It isn’t what keeps them there. A horse should stay because they are paying attention to the handler and are trained to stay put.

When I learned that the most basic principle for whatever we do with our horses or whatever method we use to train our horses is to make sure the horse is paying attention to me at all times, everything else became easier.

When discussing safety, I believe making the horse pay attention to the handler should be the first rule.

September 13, 2010 at 10:55 am
(6) spotz58 says:

Just my $0.02 here. I think the quiz is oriented to trained horses that have accepted standing for grooming and tacking and also are well trained to tie. I myself do not tie a green horse for grooming and tacking, and take care to train the horse to tie and to accept grooming and tacking very well before combining these skills. My goal is a horse that ties well and safely and quietly accepts grooming and tacking. In no case should tieing be used as a method to prevent the horse escaping something he does not accept! All that accomplishes is scaring the horse and teaching him to be a halter puller!

September 20, 2010 at 8:30 am
(7) Katherine says:

You are correct. Beginner rides are safest learning on well trained quiet horses. Horses need to be trained to tie and stand quietly. That’s a job for someone with more experience.

September 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm
(8) Sarah says:

That was fun!! =D I got 87% I dont have a horse But I learn A lot about them! I wish I could Have one but we live in the city! the only one I missed was when I am Done riding Should I put a sheet on him or put him in hi stall or put him in the pasture? and I said. put a sheet on him :) and that is the only one I missed! but even if I missed 1 at least I am learning!!

May 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm
(9) Darlene says:

I’m just getting back into riding after 20 plus years. When I had my horse as a teenager, I never tied her up for anything. But then it was only her and I in the barn…no other horses around. She was well trained and that’s just how I handled her. I was young and really never knew a lot of things that I should have known. Certainly not what I am learning now before I buy my own and keep on my own land. A huge and exciting step for me at this time of my life. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the information provided on this site! Thanks!

June 4, 2012 at 8:53 am
(10) Katherine says:

Good luck Darlene! You’ll find you’ll feel a bit awkward at first, but it will all come back.

May 29, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(11) Darlene says:

Wow…I guess I am not that out of the game! I got a 100%. It all comes back to you. Even 20 years later! Yeah!