1. Home
Katherine Blocksdorf

Did Unicorns Exist?

By April 26, 2011

A close horse cousin, at least in the fantasy world, is the unicorn.
2008 K. Blocksdorf
Unicorns look like white horses with long flowing manes and tails, plus a horn growing from the center of their foreheads. Legend says unicorns appear only to the pure at heart--which perhaps explains why so few us have seen one.

Several characters in the Harry Potter series had wands constructed with the tail hair of a unicorn. Ground unicorn horn and unicorn blood are said to have magical properties. Unicorn like creatures exist in the mythology of several different cultures like the Chinese Unicorn. But did these mythical creatures ever really exist? The Equinest Blog explores the possibility of there really being unicorns. Take a look at the photos and videos and decide. I suppose anything is possible. Real, myth or hoax, what do you think?

Comments

June 19, 2008 at 5:32 pm
(1) The Equinest says:

It seems there is quite a bit of debate on this topic. I’m still doing my research and hopefully I’ll come up with something concrete either way.

June 20, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(2) JeanVee525 says:

It’s a lovely thought, but I don’t believe they exist.

July 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm
(3) diana says:

unicorns are never mentioned in the BIBLE and harry potter is for people who don’t have a life so no they never existed

July 11, 2008 at 6:18 pm
(4) Katherine says:

Interestingly, the domestic cat is not mentioned in the bible, nor many other wild animals. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist. And while Harry Potter isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, lots of folks find it very entertaining–reading for entertainment being a very worthy pastime.

July 14, 2008 at 3:36 pm
(5) LTAM says:

Uh…lady…. just because it isn’t mentioned in the bible doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. In fact there are a lot of things mentioned in the bible that DON’T exist. Your magical sky daddy being one of them.

That said, I don’t think unicorns exist either.

July 16, 2008 at 5:25 pm
(6) horsefreak says:

cats werent mentioned in the Bible && they exist. o yeah && i dont believe in unicorns because there is no proof of them.

July 17, 2008 at 5:32 am
(7) Bob says:

I don’t want to burst anyone minds, but as for the “UNICORN”, read Job 39:9. Also talks about fire breathing dragons.

July 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm
(8) Mary says:

Actually,unicorns are mentioned in the bible.Job 39:9-10,Numbers 23:22 and 24:8,Dueteronomy 33:17,Psalm 22:21,29:6,92:10, and also in Isaiah 34:7.There are probably many species that have existed in the past that we have no clue about.Just because they aren’t all mentioned in the Bible doesn’t mean they never existed.But is just so happens that unicorns are mentioned in the bible many times.

August 16, 2008 at 12:29 am
(9) jasmine says:

i work with the unicorns in healing

November 12, 2008 at 10:34 am
(10) James says:

haha… this is a great conversation to read…

December 4, 2008 at 6:46 pm
(11) goldenepona says:

Diana, Unicorns are mentioned in the Bible, look it up. Numbers 23:22,24:8; Deut. 37:17;Job 39:9-12; Psalms 22:21, 29:6, 92:10; Isaiah34:7. You should do your research before speaking. Neanderthals are not mentioned in the Bible but we have fossilized skeletons proving their existence.

January 19, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(12) Helen says:

I believe Unicorns existed according to the Bible however, it doesn’t mean they looked like the mythical or fairytale creatures as they are portrayed today. But I would love to think that that is the way they did look. It is like a fairytale come true.

January 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(13) joeshmoe says:

lol this is a funny thread.
i actually do belive that maybe unicorns existed maybe once. whats the big deal a white horse with a horn.
its totally beliveable.

April 25, 2009 at 7:37 am
(14) Altea says:

Yes they do exist because if you think how many millions and zillions of galaxys are out there and how far the universe goes its is nearly 100% possible that they do exist.

April 25, 2009 at 7:50 am
(15) Altea says:

They do exist because if you think how many billions and zillions of galaxys there are in the universe well it is nearly 100% possible that they do exist like dragons and minotaurs e.t.c. If anyone disagrees with me then may i ask ,how do you know?

April 26, 2009 at 2:50 pm
(16) allison says:

unicorns DO NOT exist. only if you are asleep dreaming. but if you take my opinion for it it is thyat they do not exist. if you would like to see it for yourself i want you to go ask 20 people and see what they say.!!!!!!…!!!!!!

April 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(17) mack says:

unicorns are so fake because the picture that is being displayed is a fake get it a FAKE if you read this comment look back up at the picture it is of a fake

October 8, 2009 at 2:24 am
(18) Randy says:

Long time ago when i was small kid. My family was live in old house on farm with lot of woods. One day i walk up to window to view outside and suddenly unicorn just appear in middle of woods and when i turn my head and tell my old brother to look out of window and i ask him see something out there but he didnt see any, so i turn my head to look out and unicorn just disappeared… I know that might sound strange but i know there just rare people actually can see it and some other can’t see it. I would say this is really very mystery to me if it’s actually real or just hoax.

October 11, 2009 at 2:58 am
(19) Kevin says:

who cares about the bible?

November 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm
(20) alex says:

let me get this straight, they dont exist due to not being in the bible….did the bible speak of dinasaurs? did it speak of the 9/11 terrorists…did it speak of ectasy use?

no/no/no

the bible is NOT some sort of book that tells you what exists and what doesnt…it may cover religion, but animals, etc etc etc no…no…

and who really follows it anymore…like really…if there is indeed a God that created these ideas for the bible…honestly…why am I in pain, unable to work, at 23 and stuck with a terrible form of neuropathy? let me guess, gods plan? please….

keep the religion to yourselves.

January 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm
(21) Meag says:

Now there are A Lot of things that I don’t personally believe in either, but one thing that I do pride myself on is that I do believe in the possibility of everything. We as humans don’t know everything there is to know. So just because you can’t prove that something ever existed, doesn’t mean that it never did, because you also can’t prove that it didn’t.

January 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm
(22) Meag says:

Oh and Diana… I believe Mary and Goldenepona already proved how ignorant you really are, so we could probably just throw out your opinion all together. Ha

January 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(23) Shirley says:

I love to thin k that they exist. I have a beautiful white horse and sometimes I think she is looking for her lost horn.
She will rub her head on me hard (if I allow it) and she has a very interesting swirl in the center of her forhead.

February 22, 2010 at 10:56 am
(24) Debbie Price says:

Just to let everyone know, unicorns are in the Bible-Psalm 92:10 Look it up

March 10, 2010 at 7:16 pm
(25) Miranda says:

Alex… just because you may be going through alor does not mean you should resent god, it means you should let him help you and belive in him, rejecting him will just make things worse… My pop did that when his wife died and he got very sick and was a alcoholic. when I was little I prayed for him every night and he is now doing much better and goes to shurch, gave up the alcohal and is very happy please listen to me

March 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm
(26) Donna says:

I believe nicorns are magic.. and magic does exist… i aslo believe that ppl who are religoius and say unicorns arn’t in the bible.. havent actually read the bible. because they are in the bible. maybe u should stop critizing other ppl on there beleives and learn more about ur own… or just keep ur opinoins to ur self the bible does not talk about ever animal nad there real, so why couldnt unicorns be at one time, you can’t prove they werent just cuz the bible said so and it says they are sooo ya but you also can’t prove yet that they are so its either u believe in them or you don’t but if you do or don’t you do not need to critzie other ppls opinions like the old phrase if u can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all… let ppl believe in anything they wont because you can neither prove them right or wrong.

March 26, 2010 at 9:26 pm
(27) myrtle lutz says:

they do have the since to them sevle’s to someone who is pure at heart.but I do know that they arevery rear .

April 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm
(28) nomar says:

This is funny either I cant read or some people cant spell
any way using the bible as a way of proving if they did or did not exist is like trying to push a car with a rope
does the loch ness monster or big foot exist to name some of the many that have been reported

May 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm
(29) Petrina says:

I was jst wondering how does any1 names smthn tht neva existed,i mean im jst not tlkn about unicorns bt a whole bunch of things,how does any1 decides a ‘winged horse’ is called a pegasus if it dnt exists,if nobogy has ever seen 1 how did whoever named it a pegasus came 2 tht conclusion?some1 somewhr named a horse with a horn a unicorn,it neva existed and yet the whole world somehow knows a horned is called a unicorn,prsonally i dnt knw if a unicorn existed or exists.

September 9, 2010 at 10:05 pm
(30) Kelly says:

I can see how they might exist, scientifically speaking. It’s a horse with a horn on it. Deer have horns. So it’s not impossible for a horn to grow on an animal. I guess more research would just have to be put into it.

October 30, 2010 at 5:34 am
(31) Rose says:

I have a theary that all thease mythical critters couldent have just all of a sudden poped out of peoples head. Most things on the mythical topic have been recorded in history like the greek gods, and some how so hase the topic mythical beings if they realy didint exist then there wold be no point in imajenation. now please bear with me with my bad spelling and horrible grahmer, but I belleave that all these things are real and just passed down so many genorations that we have begain to develop dout in are memory passed down to us from our ansestores. I’m not saying that there is no dout that there not real its just that theres another thing to think about. From: Rose to all of those who think positive on the manner.

November 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm
(32) lisa says:

i believe unicorns exist, hopefully they do. I also think that pegasus exists.maybe,just maybe unicorns and/or pegasus exist somewere on the earth that us humans haven’t explored yet,like the ocean,for example,humans now more about the MOON than we know about the ocean.Maybe there is a place that NOBODY (except unicorns and/or pegasus.)knows about.

December 28, 2010 at 10:39 am
(33) alyssa lee says:

UNICORNS DO EXSIST I HAVE ONE!!! ITS PINK AND FLUFFY !!!!!

January 21, 2011 at 10:05 am
(34) Mike says:

or seeing as how we know little to nothing about the universe there could be another planet that supports life that they do exist on we just dont know yet but we will eventually

March 17, 2011 at 6:16 am
(35) GOD says:

Unicorns FTW <3 <3

April 11, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(36) killer says:

unicorns dont exist u idiots

April 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm
(37) thomas says:

unicorns dont exist u dumbasses

April 26, 2011 at 11:41 pm
(38) elmobuddy1 says:

Yes!!! They are what we call _rhinoceroses_. One kind of rhino actually does have one horn and Rhinos are sometimes reffered to as ‘the Unicorn.’

April 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm
(39) Maggie says:

i think unicorns did exist once long ago, because on a regular basis, the bible does not lie. i think that the unicorns just don’t exist anymore, or they live somewhere that we don’t know of. there are many possibilities and answers to this question.

June 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm
(40) 1luckyme says:

Rose needs to go back to school. I would be ashame to leave a review and she cannot spell the words that she’s using. How sad!!!

August 13, 2011 at 10:13 am
(41) jENNIFER says:

Um Diana? People who read harry potter have Lives thank you very much. Just because you dont believe in magic or anything along that line, doesn’t mean you’re stupid. all these christian believers think the book is bad because of magic. yet, i’d like to make a five dollar bet with you those people’s kids watch cinderella, beauty and the beast etc from disney. now what’s in those? MAGIC. DUh.

some of them are nothing but hipocrytes. again, just because there is no proof don’t mean they don’t exist.

September 2, 2011 at 3:04 am
(42) misty says:

Unicorns just didn’t make it to the ark in time. :)

October 29, 2011 at 2:53 am
(43) Susan says:

Unicorns are mentioned nine times in the Old Testament in the Bible.
Numbers 23:22
Numbers 24:8
Deuteronomy 33:17
Job 39:9
Job 39:10
Psalms 22:21
Psalms 29:6
Psalms 92:10
Isaiah 34:7
Isaiah 34: 6-8

I say they did exist, a very long time ago.

November 2, 2011 at 1:49 am
(44) Gloria says:

Well you see Dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible and so are all of the above when reading the bible which you may have not read at all seeing that you are saying that it doesn’t mention this in there but sorry it does, you have to have wisdom and knowledge to be able to Understand the Bible for God said his people where short on the lack of knowledge. which I guess would mean we at some point in our life’s can be stupid for saying that some things are false when they are true.

November 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(45) iljsawesome says:

OMG! How can you guys not believe in unicorns! I have a pet unicorn named Bob, he’s purple. My friends also believe in unicorns so ha! There must be someone out there who is a believer too!

November 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm
(46) Believer says:

Job 39:9-12

King James Version (KJV)

9Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
10Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
11Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?
12Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

January 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm
(47) Heather says:

Actually unicorns are mentioned in the bible.
Read psalm 29:6.

March 14, 2012 at 12:17 am
(48) Samuel says:

Unicorns as described in magical stories are not in existence today & are considered mythical. But remove the limitations of the mythical stores and there is some evidence for them

Ancient carvings and drawings of singular horned 4 legged animals have been found in various areas and there are some old eye witness accounts.

It really isn’t much of a stretch of the imagination either since it is assumed it is a horse (maybe not) with a horn. There are two animals in existence today that have a horn: rhinoceros and the narwhal.

Concerning the bible, remember the modern names of animals don’t always match. This is due of course to the fact that the names weren’t invented yet when the bible was written or translated. Case in point, the dinosaur. The name dinosaur was invented in the early 1840s. In Job chapter 40 the dinosaur is named Behemoth since the Bible was translated in English hundreds of years earlier.

The unicorn described in the Bible is mentioned as a powerful beast that could not be domesticated. Also, it does not say it is horse related. It is mention a couple times with the bull. It could be actually the extinct
Elasmotherium which is more related to a rhinoceros.

So is the image of the white majestic horned horse the Unicorn in the Bible? Maybe but probably not.

March 14, 2012 at 9:46 am
(49) Katherine says:

Thanks Samuel, that’s a very interesting take on the subject.

March 14, 2012 at 12:24 am
(50) Samuel says:

“Misty says:
Unicorns just didnít make it to the ark in time.”

Misty probably was making a joke but there may be some truth in that. Moses was told to take 2 of every kind (7 of certain animals) but not of every variation of a kind. So maybe the Unicorn did not make the cut but another variation of its kind did.

So for instance, Moses had to take 2 canines but not ever type of canine.

April 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(51) Indigo says:

if you want Unicorns to exist they exist, you are the Creator of Your Reality :D

May 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm
(52) KJSDKJAH says:

they exit. forever and always

May 28, 2012 at 12:59 am
(53) Hannah Womack says:

the holy bible mentions unicorns more than once read isah 34:7 . knowledge is power and just because you never saw it doesnt mean it isnt real.. have you physically saw god?????

August 12, 2012 at 1:33 am
(54) lee says:

The unicorn is the national animal symbol of Scotland.There is always truth in some fiction.
I do believe they existed at one time.

September 17, 2012 at 2:57 am
(55) Eddie says:

Actually, the Christian bible mentions unicorns on several occasions. Submitted for your own reading pleasure are the following verses:

Numbers 23:22
Numbers 24:8
Job 39:9 (This same book mentions a creature that lives in the water and breathes fire. It’s called Leviathan)
Job 39:10
Psalms 29:6
Psalms 92:10

December 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm
(56) Olivia says:

I think that pegusus and unicorns are real because if they were not real why did they make up the words pegusus and unicorn?

September 15, 2013 at 11:03 am
(57) adele says:

1. Double check your bible – mine says a wild ox not a unicorn.
2. Anything is possible
3. Neaderthals do exist – I should know I’m married to one,
4. Why is everyone getting so heated up for – chill, its only theories – you start bringing in the exsistance of GOD and what not (I do believe in God by the way and that does not make me a believer in unicorns) but why shouldn’t others be able to express their thoughts.

December 3, 2013 at 1:25 am
(58) Bella says:

Wow. I read the whole conversation and you guys were saying a lot of good stuff here. I believe in unicorns because, who knows, they probably do exist some where, just not how we imagine them to look like. Just because you don’t see it, dosen’t mean its not there. A good example would be how we cant see atoms or air, but we know they’re there. Plus, if you think they don’t exist or never have, then prove it! Prove that they can not ever have existed, EVER! Prove that they cant ever exist, because if your calling us out on not having your definition of ‘proof,’ then where’s your proof!